Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, April 06, 2018

Distracted-driving sting in Montgomery Co. snags 65 drivers, more to come

WASHINGTON — In just under two hours at the busy Bethesda, Maryland, intersection of River and Goldsboro roads, 65 drivers had a rough start to their Wednesday morning: They were pulled over for distracted driving.

It’s illegal to drive while using a phone, yet it causes dozens of accidents across the region each day. To fight that, Montgomery County is cracking down on distracted drivers and detailing what kind of ticket they could face.

“We do it randomly in different locations. We have somebody hold the sign and we put out a signboard trailer or something like that to let people know. It’s against the law. If we see people doing it, we’re going to write them for it,” Sgt. Phillip Chapin with Montgomery County police said of ticketing.

More

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good.Sheriff Lewis should do it here.I was nearly side swiped this morning by a person on a cell phone.

Anonymous said...

Could make big bucks if that law was enforced here

Anonymous said...

Do it here and they'll pull over every cop that goes by! 90% of the ones I drive past are on the handheld phone. But, do as I say, not as I do...

Anonymous said...

Yea our cops here going 100 mph on cell phones yea right

Anonymous said...

monkey county has been overrun by illegals while the kops write bs tickets. because those bs tickets raise revenue and don't cost the county a dime. while locking up criminals costs money! wnder how many people od'd in monkey county while the kops were out on that corner!

Anonymous said...

I run a one person small business and my cell phone is an absolute necessity,if it rings while I'm driving I tell the caller to hold on until I can find a place to pull over and talk.I'm not sure if talking while pulled over with the engine running is legal or not.

Anonymous said...

Am surprised to hear you drive past cops and still have license to drive. Logic tells me the LEO is sitting still, when you pass them, or you would have oodles of speeding tickets for driving faster then the Leo. I can honestly state I don't ever remember seeing cop on a handheld phone, while driving. 90% seems greatly exaggerated

Anonymous said...

It isn't just cell phones. All be it they are probably worst.
But It should include people eating food and drinking soda while driving. As well as smoking while driving. And loud music preventing hearing emergency vehicles.
I had someone pull out in front of me by the college, out of what was once Arbys, stuffing their mouth with french fries. They never knew I was their.
To name a few other driving distractions.

Anonymous said...

cell phone - worst invention ever made!

monkey county...hit that right on the head..lol

Time to raise the Salisbury city flag - Walmart bag stuck in the tree

Anonymous said...

9:12, ever hear of a two-way street? They are legal here in Maryland!

Anonymous said...

Clearly you’re a cop lover which is fine but you definitely don’t drive then. I totally agree with 7:29 that cops are always on a phone. So yes, do as we say not as we do!